Friday, September 2, 2011

In love with Africa!!

Jet-lag. Pot-hole-riddled roads. Loud, scary noises at night (just a mysterious animal in the ceiling).


Generous smiles & laughter. Little hands to hold. Nighttime lullabies.

This summer, I returned to The Forever Young International School in Twifu-Hemang, Ghana. A huge part of my heart belongs to the students of this remote community. Every moment with them, they inspire me with their determination to do what it takes, and sacrifice, in order to get an education. They wake up early in the morning (4am for some) to do their homework, chores, and get ready before school. The boarders study into the evening, well after classes have ended. The older students take care of the younger ones--acting as surrogate parents.

One young man, Nick, started high school this year, at the age of 25! His parents didn't have the money to send him 10 years earlier, so he worked and saved money. A young girl comes faithfully to school, everyday. She appears sadder than when I first met her two years ago. I find out that her mother died and a family friend now watches over her, but doesn't love her like her mother did. The young man has dreams of becoming a businessman. The girl--a famous actress. :)

Jenn, doing what she does best--loving children!
The school (FYIS) is located in a rural community in the Central Region of Ghana, West Africa. Most of the students wouldn't be able to have access to such a quality school if The Forever Young Foundation (FYF) had not partnered with a Ghanaian man who had a dream to provide a state-of-the-art school to their community. The foundation (FYF) continues to help with the construction of facilities, support in materials and supplies, and by sending experienced educators--led by my dear friend Jenn--to work with the administration and staff at the school. This year, we were able to take over 30 laptops and set up a computer lab, teaching and school supplies to supplement what they already have, medical supplies to replenish their first aid/malaria clinic, and hundreds of books to increase the school library book count to over 2,000, and provide training. While there, we also carried out an in-depth evaluation for the school to help them to identify their strengths and weaknesses so that they can continue to improve their performance.

The school's library after we inventoried and added the donated books.
I want to love the students (which I do) and take care of them all (a little more challenging to do). I want to guarantee that they all have the opportunity to receive a quality education. I am working at doing my part to help more students have access to a continuous education.

If anyone who reads this is interested in funding a partial or full scholarship for one of the students in financial need at FYIS, let me know and I'll help you figure out what to do.

Making fufu while visiting a student's house.




An outdoor kitchen at one of the students' homes.

Window looking out at Cape Coast Slave Castle.

Senior high school students working in the computer lab.
Love this girl. She was only 2 when I first met her.


During an advanced art class I taught while there.


A school excursion to Elmina Slave Castle.




The first aid/malaria clinic...this boy didn't feel well that day.
The Muslim market in Accra, Ghana.

4 comments:

  1. Amazing, Amy. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! I love those kids and I love you even more for loving them as much as I do! Thank you for all you do to help. You are one of a kind my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was amazing. You guys will do so much in this world. You are kind and generous. I've been tying up tomatoes today.
    Hope to come see you one day. I love your pottery. I may have to invest in a piece or two. The PA for Jed is a great choice. He has smarts and compassion. If you come this way let me know ahead of time.
    Love you,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete